The IWMA is sponsoring a Songwriting Contest beginning May 1. Anyone who writes songs is encouraged to enter. There is a nominal entry fee shown below in the rules and rewards section. Let’s make this a great event for the IWMA for this year. We hope you will get excited and will enter a song from your own pen.
RULES AND REWARDS FOR THE SONGWRITING CONTEST
1. Fee is $25 a song or three (3) songs for $50.
2. There can be more than one songwriter for a song, the prize to be divided between them as they see fit.
3. A lyric sheet must be provided for each song.
4. Judges will be music business professionals.
5. Grand prize will be $1000, a free half-page ad in The Western Way, and a free Silver Spur Package for this year’s IWMA convention.
6, Winner will get to perform the song on this year’s Convention Friday Night Opry in a featured slot where the $1,000 prize will be presented.
7. Second Place prize is $100 and an opportunity to perform the song on this year’s Convention Friday Night Opry where the prize will be presented.
8. Contest dates are May 1-July 31. Entries must be received during this window but not later than July 31. Send to: email@example.com or mail to IWMA Songwriting Contest – P.O. Box 648 – Coppell, TX 75019
9. Winner will be notified ahead of time but will not receive his/her award until the convention.
10. Songs must be ones that have not been previously released in a recording.
11. Songs must fall lyrically into the cowboy/western genre. Song may be written to fit any musical style – rock ‘n’ roll, folk, celtic, easy listening, etc. – but must speak to the life, work, nature, history, landscape, romance, etc., of life in the west past or present or to life lived in the west outside the city.
12. Songs must be submitted by mp3 or on disc. Songs do not have to be recorded in a professional studio. Song may be simply performed and recorded with a home device.
13. Songs must be submitted with no more than two (2) instruments. Judges will be considering lyrics and melodies, not performance of the song.
14. Each entrant must be submitted with the full name(s) of each songwriter.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.